Location and History
Taparko was the first gold mine built in Burkina Faso. Mining at Taparko commenced in 2005, with the first gold poured in late 2007.
Taparko mine is located in the Namantenga province of Burkina Faso in West Africa, approximately 200km northeast of Ouagadougou, the Capital City of Burkina Faso.
The principle road to Taparko is fully tarmacked, allowing a journey time of approximately two hours from Ouagadougou. The Bouroum mine site, a satellite of Taparko, is located approximately 49km northwest of the main Taparko site where all the mining and milling facilities are located. It is accessible from Taparko via a gravel road.
The airport at Ouagadougou has flight connections to all the major cities in Europe. There is a railway from the port of Abijan, Cote d’Ivoire to Kaya but the political instability in Cote d’Ivoire means that most of the freight destined for Burkina Faso arrives at Tema, Ghana.
The climate is characterised by a wet season extending from June to September, with the heaviest rains in August meaning an annual rainfall of between 400 and 600mm. Typical daytime temperatures range from 25°C in December to 45°C in May, dropping about 10°C at night. No surface accumulations of water remain throughout the year, except for man-made storage reservoirs.
Nordgold acquired control over Taparko mine in August 2008. The mine is operated by SOMITA SA, a company 90% owned by Nordgold’s subsidiary High River Gold. The remaining 10% belongs to the Government of Burkina Faso.
Taparko production increased by 34% in 2016 to 111.2 thousand ounces.
Supporting Burkina Faso Economy
Taparko payments in 2009-2016 stood at more than US$120 million in taxes, royalties and indirect taxes, which made a significant contribution to the social infrastructure of Burkina Faso.
We contributed approximately US$202 thousand on social development programmes in 2016 and we will match that next years.
Nordgold's investments in Burkina Faso have reached US$850 million since 2009.
Taparko offers strong potential to increase reserves and life of mine through the development of Yeou and Goengo deposits and provides long term value to local communities and the country’s economy.
In 2017, Nordgold jointly with the Embassy of France in Burkina Faso have decided to support the Association of Women in the Mining Sector of Burkina Faso (AFEMIB), which will implement a project focused on a creation of income-generating activities for woman at the Taparko satellite deposit Yeou.
Operating and Financial Highlights
|Run of mine (kt)||20,198||19,800||14,736||16,288||12,172||11,239||10,770|
|Waste mined (kt)||18,204||18,814||12,748||14,722||10,337||9,782||9,421|
|Ore mined (kt)||1,994||987||1,988||1,567||1,835||1,457||1,349|
|Stripping ratio (tn/tn)||9.13||19.07||6.4||9.4||6.4||6.7||7.0|
|Ore processed (kt)||1,636||1,657||1,767||1,366||1,580||1,421||1,274|
|Gold production (koz)||111.2||83.2||112.0||108.4||126.7||132.5||127.2|
|Gold sold (koz)||111.6||82.7||111.7||108.5||126.8||132.5||127.2|
|Average realised gold price per ounce sold (US$/oz)||1,252||1,152||1,267||1,400||1,672||1,549||1,236|
|Total Cash Costs (US$/oz)||690||1,002||705||771||611||476||393|
Ore Reserves and Mineral Resources Summary (31 December 2015)
|Category||Ore (Kt)||Grade (g/t)||Au (Koz)|
|Proven and Probable||5,825||2.10||394|
|Measured and Indicated||11,288||2.10||764|
The mine comprised four open pits alongside a processing plant, ball milling facility and CIL circuits. An additional cyclone unit was added to the CIL circuit to increase processing capacity and management has significantly expanded the fleet of trucks used for transporting ore to the processing plant. The site also has waste rock dumps, tailing containment areas, and a water management system, as well as accommodation for more than 600 workers.
Milling and Classification
Cyanide leaching and sorption
- The Taparko mine is expected to deliver a waste cutback at the current 35 pit and mine an extension to the 2N2K pit in order to access new ore blocks.
- The mine will continue to work on obtaining permits for the Goengo satellite deposit in order to start its development and mining in H2 2017.
- The exploration work at and near the Taparko mine will include exploration drilling at Kangarse for additional ore positions and exploration drilling along strike at Goengo West.
- Mapping and sampling will continue around Goengo and Kangarse to identify any additional targets for drill testing.