Location and History
Our Lefa mine is some 700 km north east of Conakry, the capital of the Republic of Guinea and is connected to an all-season road that has easy access to an air strip.
Commercial production began at the Lefa mine in 2008. The mine was acquired by Nordgold at the end of July 2010, as part of the Crew Gold acquisition, with financial results consolidated from August 2010.
Lefa gold mine operates a typical modern open pit operation with three major mining areas and several smaller, higher grade satellite pits, which will provide supplementary feed for the mill over the life of the project.
Lefa produced 194.7 thousand ounces of gold in 2016.
Operating and Financial Highlights
|Run of mine (kt)||26,473||24,999||18,144||23,934||26,986||23,933||5,829|
|Waste mined (kt)||20,336||18,980||13,945||20,054||20,674||17,273||3,430|
|Ore mined (kt)||6,137||6,019||4,199||3,880||6,312||6,660||2,327|
|Stripping ratio (tn/tn)||3.3||3.2||3.3||5.2||3.3||2.6||1.7|
|Ore processed (kt)||6,599||6,558||6,459||5,826||5,932||6,128||2,186|
|Gold production (koz)||194.7||214.2||205.1||162.7||171.9||195.7||73.3|
|Gold sold (koz)||195.1||223.5||195.7||162.7||171.9||195.7||73.3|
|Average realised gold price per ounce sold (US$/oz)||1,241||1,164||1,262||1,387||1,670||1,554||1,346|
|Total Cash Cost (US$/oz)||710||643||850||1,398||1,180||861||860|
- Nordgold obtained a controlling interest in Lefa mine at the end of July 2010. Figures for 2010 represent only the period after Crew Gold was acquired by Nordgold, i.e. from August to December 31, 2010, while the 2011 column represents the full-year operations of Crew Gold as part of the group. All the changes in 2011 in comparison to 2010 are explained by the different periods of operations as part of the group in 2010 and 2011.
Ore Reserves and Mineral Resources Summary (31 December 2015)
|Category||Ore (Kt)||Grade (g/t)||Au (Koz)|
|Proven and Probable||59,773||1.22||2,336|
|Measured and Indicated||81,875||1.07||2,819|
Lefa consists of two main open pits and several smaller satellite pits, an eight-kilometer conveyer belt from Lero-Karta pits to the processing plant, a processing plant with a crushing circuit, two SAG mills, two ball mills and a CIP circuit, waste rock dumps, a specially constructed tailing storage facility, and a water management system.
Milling and Classification
Cyanide leaching and sorption
- The Lefa mine will target an increase in ore mined volumes supported by investments in the mining fleet upgrade programme, which started in 2016 and will continue throughout 2017.
- We expect to complete the construction of an access road to the Toume-Toume satellite deposit with the aim of starting ore mining in 2017.
- During the first quarter of 2017 we intend to commission a 10 tonnes per day oxygen plant to replace peroxide addition in the leach. A cost reduction will be realised as oxygen will replace the addition of hydrogen peroxide.
- The work on regional oxide ore deposits will continue. The mine will also evaluate underground mining potential at the Banora satellite deposit and at the Lero-Karta complex.
- We expect to complete the new powerhouse feasibility to supply power more efficiently, resulting in lower operating and maintenance costs.